Monday, October 12, 2015

Why do a paperback?

With e-books becoming so easy to produce, and gaining more and more popularity, many independent authors focus exclusively on that format. Why, then, did I take the time to produce a paperback version of my novel, She Dies at the End?


Paper still has appeal for the reader


Many people, even young people, still enjoy reading paper books. There is something about the feel of the paper, the sensation of turning the pages, even the smell of books, that is incredibly appealing. It's also easier on the eyes than a back-lit screen, though Kindle designers have worked hard on that problem and made considerable progress.


There is also the fact that many people are not comfortable with the constant use of screens, and they will never read a book that isn't printed. I wanted my work to be available to them, too.


Producing something tangible is satisfying


There is something very satisfying for a writer in producing a hard copy of her work. I was so excited to hold my first hard copy proof when it arrived in the mail. I got to admire it and feel the pride that comes with being able to say, "I created this thing my very own self." And in my case, I did it all myself, cover design and formatting included.


Seeing your e-book appear on Amazon and seeing it getting downloaded is also satisfying, but being able to touch your creation is pretty special. And what can be more fun than seeing it on the shelf next to books you've read and loved, books that have influenced your life and your writing?












I would encourage other indie authors to consider publishing paperbacks as well as e-books. With print on demand, there is no longer a huge financial investment required to self-publish on paper. If you have the time to handle the conversion yourself, it is very educational. If you have the money to pay someone else to do it for you, and you don't want the hassle, more power to you. But I think it's worth trying at least once. I'll be blogging soon with some tips for the first-timer. Happy writing, and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment