Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Hexborn Playlist: Music to Read By

Hexborn is out today!  To celebrate, and to enhance your reading experience, I'm sharing with you some music to read by.



I love all kinds of music.  I'm a singer, and while I'm in the process of writing and editing a book, I often run across songs that touch me and speak to a particular aspect of the story I'm in the midst of creating.  Gradually, I accumulate a list of songs that go along with the novel in some way.

This time, the list was also influenced by the sudden death of my father last fall.  Since he died, I've been listening to a lot of blues and bluegrass, two genres he exposed me to as a child.  You'll see that this Hexborn list is heavily composed of bluegrass and alternative country with a few Blues songs and a couple of more pop tunes.  The bluegrass emphasis is appropriate to the story, since Shiloh, my main character, comes from a small mountain community.

I'll highlight just a few songs for you here.




I chose "Grinnin' in Your Face" by Son House because I adore Son House and because Shiloh, my main character, is the victim of a lot of insults and gossip.  She is bullied because she was born with a medical condition that renders her unclean in the eyes of her neighbors.  She does her best not to allow it to get to her, as advised by Son House in this tune, and she is comforted by the steadfast support of a few treasured loved ones.


"The Water" always makes me cry these days.  To me, it is a song about death and dying.  Shiloh is mourning both her father and her mentor when the book begins, and as I am mourning my own dad, it really speaks to me.


"Love is All" always brings to my mind the character of Silas Hatch, aka "the Hatchet."  He's a man who has hardened his heart in order to be able to fulfill what he sees as his duty, but there is enough of that heart left to contain some very strong loyalties and sentimental ties.

You can listen to the whole playlist on Spotify, but if you don't have Spotify, here is a list of songs and artists:


  • "Jolene" by Rhoda Vincent
  • "Dance Upon Your Grave" by The Brothers Comatose
  • "Troubles" by Anne and Elizabeth
  • "Heaven's Gate" by Dawn Landes & Piers Faccini
  • "Twitch and Tug" by Hugo
  • "Once Was Lost" by Old Bear Mountain
  • "Sing to the Mountain" by Elephant Revival
  • "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor" by Mississippi John Hurt
  • "Blue Ridge Mountain" by Hurray for the Riff Raff
  • "The Body Electric" by Hooray for the Ridd Raff
  • "Love is All" by The Tallest Man on Earth
  • "The Captain and the Hourglass" by Laura Marling
  • "Wrong Black Mare" by Brown Bird
  • "Little Sadie" by Doc Watson
  • "From Finner" by Of Monsters and Men
  • "Hit 'Em Up Style" by Carolina Chocolate Drops
  • "The Water" by Johnny Flynn & Laura Marling
  • "Spirits" by The Strumbellas
  • "The River Song" by Old Bear Mountain
  • "Grinnin' in Your Face" by Son House
  • "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac
  • "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes
  • "Can't Catch Me" by Avicii
I hope you enjoy listening as you read!  Grab your copy today, in either ebook or paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment