Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Alan Rickman B-sides

Many of his fans are mourning Alan Rickman today.  I've loved him since I was a kid.  If you are looking to enjoy some of his work this weekend in remembrance of his wonderful career, why not check out some of his more obscure films?  We've all already seen and adore Die Hard and Robin Hood and Harry Potter.  Here are some of my favorites from the Alan Rickman B-sides.

Blow Dry
Alan Rickman plays a hairdresser preparing for an important competition.  His ex-wife (played by Natasha Richardson, and also a hairdresser) is dealing with cancer.  Did I mention he has a tattoo of scissors on his foot?  I know it sounds faintly ridiculous, but the result is amazing.

Truly, Madly, Deeply
This one seems especially poignant this week, as Rickman plays a ghost trying to help his grieving lover recover from his death.  It's a beautiful film from the early days of his movie career.

Michael Collins
This isn't an obscure movie, but it is sometimes seen more as a Liam Neeson film, as Neeson plays the title character.  In my opinion, however, Rickman's portrayal of Eamon de Valera makes the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment