Sunday, November 25, 2018

Top Five Current Fantasy Television Series

Fantasy readers are often fantasy watchers, and it's never been a better time for televised fantasy. From Marvel to ancient mythology, from Brooklyn to Westeros to the great hereafter, these are my top five current TV fantasies.



 

5. The Runaways (Hulu)


Photo courtesy of Hulu.


Season 1 is, admittedly, way too slow. (Run away, already!) But season 2 promises to start with a bang, and the characters are interesting enough to keep me coming back for more. Also, I can't resist James Marsters being back on my TV again. What can I say? I spent a large swath of my adolescence as ride-or-die for Spike. Unfortunately, one of the cast has just been accused of sexual assault, which throws rather a pall over the upcoming season. It remains to be seen what his future involvement will be in the project.



4. Daredevil (Netflix)


Photo courtesy of Netflix.


Though the second season is a little sub-par, the stellar first and third seasons make this obligatory viewing for anyone into enjoying a good fight between good and evil and the blurred lines that result. The perfect casting of Charlie Cox as Daredevil and Vincent D'Onofrio, along with exciting fight sequences, give the series it's powerful punch. The rest of the ensemble doesn’t disappoint, either. Binge the first season and meet the Devil of Hell's Kitchen.



3. American Gods (Starz)


Photo courtesy of Starz.


Okay, I know season 2 sounds doomed, but season 1 is still worth your attention. The visuals are stunning, the characters vivid. And who can resist Ian McShane pulling the strings and gnawing the scenery, Pablo Schreiber as a leprachaun, or Kristin Chenowith hosting an Easter party with fifty different versions of Jesus?



2. Game of Thrones (HBO)


Photo courtesy of HBO.


Rarely does a film adaptation improve upon the books, but this one is widely viewed as far more enjoyable than the over-stuffed death march of reading the novels. And as the TV series nears its conclusion, with the final novels nowhere in sight, you don't have to worry about being left hanging (unlike some of the characters).


1. The Good Place (NBC, streams on Hulu)


Photo courtesy of NBC.


This one puts the high in high concept. Join a delightful Ted Danson and Kristen Bell for an hilarious take on the afterlife in this fantasy comedy. The casting is sublime and the jokes laugh-out-loud funny. It really is a riot, and the twists are to die for. (See what I did there?)

What are your fave fantasy shows?

2 comments:

  1. Great shows! I can't wait for the new season of Game of Thrones. Although it's the last. :( But I did hear that they're doing a sort of prequel of the show, so we'll have to see how that goes. I watched a season of American Gods. That show is so strange, but I loved it. I definitely want to check out The Good Place. I love Kristen Bell. :D Thanks for putting together this fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Make sure you start The Good Place from the first episode. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

      Delete